Everyone is always talking about consuming less (wine, calories & plastic are my big 3) – and I agree – but there are a few things we should consume more of. Here’s my list of 10 to get you started,,,
- Good ideas – consume & create is the best combination – acknowledging & learning about other people’s great ideas helps you come up with more of your own.
- Excellent food – not more food, excellent food, home cooked with care and attention from… see #3
- Local produce – buy locally, you’ll not only eat better but you’ll save the planet (not by yourself of course, though it depends how much you eat, I suppose) and reduce plastic in packaging for shipping. If possible grow your own, you can’t get better than that.
- Time with people we love – you never know how much time you have left – so spend more time with people you love. For a fab article on how much time you’ve got left, and how to understand the scarcity of time have a read/look at WaitButWhy.
- Laughing with crazy people – remember they might be doing the same.
- Quiet time watching or being around animals. Or sniffing animals – my secret pleasure. There’s something about the smell of a warm horse to make you feel… ahhh… Be silent, study the way they move, communicate, and enjoy the present moment.
- Handmade items, crafted with skill & passion. “I am an Amazon Prime addict.” The first step for quitting an addiction is to acknowledge it! Buy from friends, from local businesses, from online artisans & recyclers. They’ll thank you for it.
- Music. Enough said?
- Books. Learn something, loose yourself, be inspired… Books can transform your life, your world or if they’re pants, make great compost material for growing your own plants – see #3.
- Kids (not literally!) Spend time around different generations, older, younger… around different types of people, perhaps even those with different points of view. Escape from the echo chambers & recycled information. Speak to kids, they know what’s real.
What else would you add?